- 2 medium heads of napa cabbage (cut into squares)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup Korean chili pepper flakes
- 4 green onions, green parts only, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons mushroom broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage with the salt and setaside for about 1 hour. Drain the liquid and rinse the cabbage toremove any traces of salt. Let the cabbage drain in a colanderfor 20 minutes, or use a salad spinner to remove most of thewater.
- Meanwhile, make the seasoning paste. In a food processor,pulse together the onion, garlic, ginger, mushroom broth, andsugar until a paste forms. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the chilipepper flakes. Set aside for 15 minutes to let the flavorscombine.
- In a large bowl, mix together the green onions, seasoningpaste, shredded carrots, and drained cabbage until combinedthoroughly, making sure the seasoning paste is distributedevenly among the leaves.
- Pack the mixture tightly into a 2-quart container. Add ¼ cup ofwater to the mixing bowl and swirl the water around to collectthe remaining seasoning paste. Add the water to the container,cover tightly, and set aside for 3 days at room temperature. Thecabbage will expand as it ferments, so be sure to placecontainer on a plate or in a bowl to catch the overflow.
- Refrigerate and enjoy within 6 months.