Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 11-12 pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 cup organic old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/4 cup organic old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup organic flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins (plus extra for the tops of the cookies)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Place the dates into a small bowl, cover them with water, and set aside for at least 15 minutes so they can soften. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Grind the 1 cup of rolled oats into a flour with a blender or food processor. Transfer to a medium bowl, and whisk in the 1 ½ cups of oats, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Drain the dates, reserving the soak water. Place the dates and 2 tablespoons of soak water into a blender, along with the almond butter and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Stir the date mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients until all of the dry ingredients disappear. Stir in the raisins and the walnuts (in using).
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and push down to create an even circle. Push 2-3 raisins into the top of each.
- Bake for 13-14 minutes, until just starting to brown. Let cool for 5 minutes on sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.