LENTIL VEGGIE SOUP
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic optional
- 3 pieces celery chopped
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage chopped
- 1 cup broccoli chopped
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup barley optional for Gluten Free!
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric optional
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups water
- 3-4 tbsp better than bouillon soup base adjust to desired broth taste
- Heat oil in a large soup or stock pot. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, the carrots, and the celery. Heat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the rest of the vegetables and heat for just another minute or two.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and turmeric. Stir, coating veggies for 1-2 minutes
- Add water, boullion, bay leaf, lentils, and barley. Stir until boullion dissolves. Bring to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 20-30 minutes. Adjust spices to taste.
- Remove bay leaf and serve with a toasted piece of whole grain bread!