Lentil and Rice Loaf
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry/uncooked brown-green lentils
- 1/2 cup dry/uncooked short-grain brown rice
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 5 medium white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large rib celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped garlic (4 to 5 cloves)
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounces)
- 2 ounces walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- Place the water, lentils, rice, poultry seasoning, andgranulated onion into a medium saucepan over highheat. When it begins to boil, reduce the heat to lowthen cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove fromthe heat and let stand for 10 minutes with the lid stillon. (Prepare your remaining ingredients while the riceand lentils are cooking.)
- Place 1 tablespoon of water into a medium frying panover high heat. When the water starts to sputter, add the chopped onion, mushrooms, and celery, and cookwhile stirring for 3-5 minutes, adding water as needed. Add the garlic and stir for 2 min. more until thevegetables have softened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line astandard size loaf pan (9x5x3 inches) withparchment paper.
- Place the oats, tomato paste, and nuts intoa large bowl. Add the fresh herbs to the bowl.When the cooked vegetables, rice, and lentilshave cooled for at least 10 minutes, add themto the bowl, and stir until all of the ingredientshave been mixed thoroughly.
- Place half of the mixture into a foodprocessor. Pulse about three times thenscrape down the sides. Pulse another threetimes until evenly blended but still somewhatchunky, then spoon into loaf pan. Place theremaining half of the mixture into the foodprocessor and pulse in the same way. Pressthe mixture firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cookfor 40 minutes, remove foil and cool foranother 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutesbefore serving.