Fresh Pomodoro Sauce
- 3-4 zucchini made into noddles using a spiralizer or 8 ounces of pasta
- sea salt
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 4-5 tomatoes typically not peeled however if you choose to peel them that will work as well
- 1/8 cup parmesan cheese or 1/8 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1-2 handfuls of fresh basil or flat leaf parsley
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Boil water for the pasta (if you are making pasta). Add at least 1 TBSP salt to the water, it should be salty like the ocean. Cook according to package directions.
- Spiralize the zucchini using a spiralizer (If you don’t have you can cut the zucchini in strips to make fettucine noodles using a mandolin).
- Make the sauce by adding the garlic to the food processor, blend, then add the basil and tomatoes, blend until desired consistency. You may want it to be a bit chunky or you may want the sauce to be smooth. Add salt, peppers to taste. You may want to add a little water.
You can keep the sauce fresh (not cooking it) or cook it. Both ways are delicious.
- Option to sauté the sauce on medium high heat, using the olive oil and garlic for 1 minute (careful not to burn the garlic), add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are softened. About 3-5 minutes. (optional)
- Sauté the zucchini on high until soft. Add salt to flavor at the end. Be careful of overcooking.
- Cheese or pine nuts
- Sauté Mushrooms
- Sauté greens like swiss chard, kale or spinach.