Butternut Squash Kimchi
- 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash (1/2 of a small squash), peeled, cored, quartered, and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons salt, plus 2 teaspoons
- 2 cups finely chopped kale) about half a bunch)
- 2 tablespoons Korean chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup mushroom broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- In a large bowl, mix the squash with 4 cups of the water and the2 tablespoons of salt. Set aside for 40 minutes. Drain the brineand allow the squash to dry in the colander.
- Meanwhile, in a medium colander, toss the kale with 2teaspoons of the salt and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Using the colander, rinse off any excess salt with water.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash and kale with the chilipepper flakes, ginger, garlic, and toss until the mixture is wellcombined. Place the mixture into a quart-sized container with atight lid.
- Mix mushroom broth with sugar until the sugar isdissolved. Ladle the broth mixture into the container until 1/3 ofthe contents are covered.
- Allow the mixture to ferment at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Refrigerate and enjoy within 1 month.