ASIAN ZUCCHINI PANCAKES
- makes 1 cup
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin japanese cooking wine
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2-3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 bunch of green onions thinly sliced * only use the white part
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- makes about 18 pancakes
- 6 cups grated zucchini 1 1/2 to 2 lbs
- 3/4 cup grated sweet yellow onion
- 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 5 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- vegetable oil for cooking the pancakes
- Combine sugar, tamari, rice vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, and water. Mix in the garlic, sesame seeds, sliced green onions, and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Shred zucchini using a grater. Remove excess liquid by squeezing in a clean dishtowel over the sink.
- Grate the onion and ginger and combine with the zucchini in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl and beat lightly.
- Pour the eggs over the zucchini mix, add rice flour, and mix until fully combined.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high heat (about 400F).
- Scoop about ½ cup of batter at a time and flatten into a pancake on the hot griddle. Cook each side until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.